We are excited to announce that on June 25 at 13:00-14:30 UTC, the Integrated Carbon Observation System - Ocean Thematic Centre (ICOS OTC) together with the IOCCP will hold a public webinar to kick off the 1st ICOS OTC pCO2 instrument inter-comparison whichwill take place at the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) in Oostende, Belgium, on 28 June - 11 July 2021.
The webinar will introduce the structure and goals of the exercise but also provide a historical overview and legacy of past pCO2 inter-comparison exercises which took place between 1995 and 2010. The webinar will be moderated by Dariia Atamanchuk (IOCCP Scientific Steering Group member, and theInter-comparison Organizing Committee member) and Artur Palacz (IOCCP Project Officer). The agenda is as follows:
Agenda and speakers: (all times in UTC)
- 13:00 Werner Kutsch (ICOS Director General) - Welcome from ICOS
- 13:05 Richard Sanders (ICOS OTC Director) - Introduction to ICOS-OTC and rationale for the inter-comparison
- 13:15 Arne Körtzinger (GEOMAR, Germany) - Beginnings of pCO2 inter-comparisons: summary of the at-sea inter-comparison exercise onboard R/V Meteor in 1995
- 13:30 Christopher Sabine (University of Hawaii Manoa, USA) - Summary and lessons learned from the 2003 & 2009 NIES inter-comparison experiments and the 2010 Alliance for Coastal Technology (ACT) moored CO2 demonstration project
- 13:45 Tobias Steinhoff (ICOS OTC) - Introduction to the 2021 ICOS OTC pCO2 instrument inter-comparison: overview, goals, proposed activities
- 14:00 Q&A and discussion
The webinar will be a first in the series of three webinars related to this inter-comparison. The second webinar will take place on Monday, 12 July at 13:00 UTC to provide a quick summary of the inter-comparison exercise outcomes. The third and final webinar will take place in October 2021 (tentatively) and will deliver a synthesis of the results and give an opportunity for community discussions prior to the final report publication.
To register for the webinars in June and July follow this link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8890213832162144523
the Organizing Committee of the ICOS OTC pCO2 instrument inter-comparison